National Cybersecurity Awareness Month (NCSAM) – observed every October – was created as a collaborative effort between government and industry to ensure every American has the resources they need to stay safer and more secure online.
This year’s Cybersecurity Awareness Month theme is “Own IT. Secure. IT. Protect IT.” with the following calls to action:
- Own IT.
- Never Click and Tell: staying safe on social media
- Update Privacy Settings
- Keep Tabs on Your Apps: best practices for device applications
- Secure IT.
- Shake Up Your Passphrase Protocol: create strong, unique passphrases
- Double Your Login Protection: turn on multi-factor authentication
- Shop Safe Online
- Play Hard To Get With Strangers: how to spot and avoid phish
- Protect IT.
- If You Connect, You Must Protect: updating to the latest security software, web browser and operating systems
- Stay Protected While Connected: Wi-Fi safety
- If You Collect It, Protect It: keeping customer/consumer data and information safe
Additionally CSU, Chico Information Security has created weekly cybersecurity themes that will be detailed on their website at www.csuchico.edu/isec. The Week 1 NCSAM theme is Protecting Yourself Online. Surprising statistics, common risks, and cybersecurity best practices have been identified to help you protect yourself and CSU, Chico. Please follow along each week of Cybersecurity Month to stay safer and more secure online.